Research degrees - textile design, fashion and management
Textiles is an industry where innovations in process as well as product are required to effectively integrate all aspects of design, technology, retail and management. To address this, the Textile Design, Fashion and Management research group is multi-disciplinary and covers areas as diverse as applied management, textile design, colour, trend forecasting, retail management, fashion merchandising, supply chain management, CAD, digital design, consumer behaviour, internet shopping, retail marketing, product development, enterprise and innovation.
Industry linksWe have strong links with industry and work with many major retailers, manufacturers and well-known designers.
Research interestsOur current research interests cover a wide spectrum, and include:
- Design communication
- Design education
- Design management
- Digital design
- Emotional aspects of design and consumer behaviour
- Fashion design
- Fashion retailing
- Global operations management
- International supply chain management
- Textile design
FacilitiesFacilities in the School are excellent, and include dedicated design and retailing studios and CAD facilities. Software includes Scotweave, AVA, Lectra (PrimaVision, Kaledo Style and Modaris), Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
Research projectsSome of the exciting research projects our students have completed, or are completing, include:
- Investigating the relationship between consumer adoption and new product development of wearables.
- Development of the Chinese textile sector as an UK/EU trading partner post Multi Fibre Agreement, January 2005
- Strategic Agile Merchandising: a new market opportunity for European textile producers.